Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Breaded Rack of Lamb

Lamb is not a meat that I have cooked before but I could not resist adding this particular recipe to my Christmas eve menu when my family visited me in Singapore. It was on sale as well so that was the other added push. I decided on a quick and simple recipe and roasted the rack over a bed of cubed potatoes and carrots which I had partially cooked over the stove. The vegetables were seasoned with salt and black pepper only.

I must say that the lamb turned out extremely well. In fact the flavours of the breadcrumb crust permeated the vegetables as well and there were bits of crispy breadcrumbs that gave it a bit of texture. Since then I have cooked this dish one other time. Lamb does not taste good if cold so make sure that you serve it immediately after it has been rested.




Breaded Rack of Lamb
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used left over store bought croutons)
1 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (I also added a dash of Italian dried herbs)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (you can also use wholegrain mustard)
1 (7 bone) rack of lamb, trimmed and frenched

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Move oven rack to the center position.

2) In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss in 2 tablespoons olive oil to moisten mixture. Set aside.

3) Season the rack all over with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of black pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy oven proof skillet over high heat. Sear rack of lamb for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides. Set aside for a few minutes.

4) Brush rack of lamb with the mustard. Roll in the bread crumb mixture until evenly coated. Cover the ends of the bones with aluminium foil to prevent charring. (Silly me, I covered the entire bone with foil)

5) Arrange the rack bone side down in the skillet. Roast the lamb in preheated oven for 12 to 18 minutes, depending on the degree of doneness you want. With a meat thermometer, take a reading in the center of the meat after 10 to 12 minutes and remove the meat, or let it cook longer, to your taste.

6) Let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes, loosely covered, before carving between the ribs. Serve with your favourite vegetables or salad.





8 comments:

OohLookBel said...

Gorgeous rack you've got there! I usually don't cover the bones with foil at all because it's fun to chew off any charred bits of meat or fat that are left on (not healthy, but yummy).

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

I suppose I can do the same for pork chops? I'm not a lamb person ... cannot tahan the smell. But the marinade, that's something I can use! I'm sure you all had a wonderful meal ... the lamb looks delish! Restaurant-quality presentation, Jo!

Selba said...

Seriously... I'm so hungry right now looking all the yummy food! *drools*

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...that's an simple, flavourful, aromatic and yum recipe...nice way to treat the family ones....

Pei-Lin said...

Jo, this is interesting! Lamb/goat's meat are also ones that I've never tried cooking with! Thanks for inspiring me. I'd love to try it someday. =)

Pei-Lin

NKP said...

Wow, good for you for trying a new cut of meat. The rack looks great!

Anonymous said...

Lovely rack of lamb! They look so tender and juicy.

pigpigscorner said...

THe lamb looks nicely pink! I like the crispy crust, gives it a nice texture.

Related Posts with Thumbnails