Saturday, June 26, 2010

Would you Call this a Messy Pig Pen?

There is something about making a fondant cake with a character theme. I find it so much more fun than a proper "adult fondant cake". There is so much possibilities where characters in play are concerned. I had recently added another fondant cake book for children's party to my collection of ever growing library. This character cake comes from Debbie Brown's "50 Easy Party Cakes". I find that she is particularly good with such fondant cakes and her instructions are easy to follow. This particular design took me about 5 hours to complete, excluding baking the actual cake. The only gripe that I have with working with fondant (in Singapore climate) is that I have to have the air-conditioner on the entire day. But I had a blast with this anyway. I took it to office the next day and my colleagues were reserving the piggy fondant figurines to take home for their little girls.

pig pen 3


pig pen 4


Mocha Cake with Espresso Drizzle
Recipe from "Sky High Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes" by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne
Makes an 8" Triple-Layer Cake (Serves 12 to 16)


Ingredients:

1 cup freshly brewed espresso
or double-strength coffee
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)- see Bakers Note
4 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-2/3 cups cake flour
2-2/3 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
226g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
Espresso Drizzle (recipe below)

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans or coat with vegetable cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and grease the paper.

2) In a medium bowl, combine the hot espresso and cocoa powder, stirring to dissolve the cocoa. Let this mocha mixture stand until cooled to body temperature. Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla until well mixed.

3) Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. With the mixer on low, evenly blend the dry ingredients. Add the butter and the mocha mixture, beating until well blended. Raise the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, then add the buttermilk-egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping well and blending only to incorporate. Divide the batter among the 3 prepared pans.

4) Bake the cake layers for 35 to 38 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean but still moist. Let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks. Carefully peel off the paper liners and let the layers cool completely.

5) To assemble the cake, place one layer, flat side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Pour 1/2 cup of the Espresso Drizzle onto the center of the layer and spread all the way to the edge, allowing it to drip slightly over the sides. Repeat with the second layer. Set the third layer in place, then pour the remaining drizzle on top and spread to the edges, making sure the glaze drips down the sides, covering all the edges.

Baker's Note
Dutch process cocoa produces a very attractive dark cake here. However, if all you have is regular cocoa, it will taste fine but look redder and lighter in color.

Because this is such a moist cake, you'll notice the baking time is slightly longer than usual.


Espresso Drizzle
Makes about 1-1/2 cups

Ingredients:

12 ounces good-quality white chocolate
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
6 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso or double-strength coffee

1) Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of very hot water.

2) Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and espresso and continue whisking until smooth. Use while warm.

pig pen 1


pig pen 5


pig pen 6

23 comments:

busygran said...

Very cute pinky piggies!

ann low said...

This is amazing! The piggies are so cute. Can I take one home? 'DD

Esther said...

Your cake is so cute! I love the details you put in the cake. :)

Caroline said...

those pigs are so cute I can almost hear them squeal!

Quinn said...

The pigs, they look wonderfully real! I really love how the ears are shaped, when differently shaped, it says a lot about the piggy's mood! You did an excellent job Jo, always surprise me when I drop by!

El said...

Oh I love it. How cute are those pigs? Great work!

Edith said...

What messy? I think this is sooooo cute.

Angie's Recipes said...

I am really amazed with your handwork! Very impressive.

tigerfish said...

So cute! 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf...NO....5 little pigs :O

Big Boys Oven said...

wow! this is truly awesome, so cool! I love thos cute loooking piglets! gorgeously done! :)

kitchen flavours said...

Your piggies are so cute. I showed them to my children and my daughter loved the piggy with the tail! Beautifully done!

Unknown said...

look at that cute lil pig butt!!! :D cuteee

pigpigscorner said...

awwww so cute! I love the butt!

Unknown said...

Your work is amazing! A pleasure to feast the eyes upon!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

You're just so talented and creative! Blow the house down? More like, blow me away!

Lisa said...

OMG..I love your three little piggies cake so much! You are so talented! I could never make fondant figures look as good as those little piggies! The cake sounds wonderfully delicious too!

the decorated cookie said...

Adorable! I posted a link on my edible crafts column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com)

Amanda said...

So cute! I love the little piggy bum, adorable.

Jessica said...

What an adorable cake! Love the little piggies...too cute to eat!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

grace said...

absolutely adorable. i tend to like my pigs shredded and sopping with barbecue sauce, but your production is much more cute and much less messy. :)

Bridget Martinelli said...

This is adorable... I love it. so clever..

Rick said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen!

bittersweetsugarandsarcasm.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very nice! like something fr childhood I like it. Also I like this

Related Posts with Thumbnails