Friday, December 2, 2011

Red Bean Paste Pau (Azuki Bean Steamed Buns)

I was blog hopping a while back and came across a Pau recipe from my blogger friend, Shirley of Kokken69 . Timing was right as I was trying to find a simple and easy recipe for steamed buns. I guess what caught my eye too was the perfectly shaped bite-size morsels as well as the pretty "stamped" seal on top of each steamed bun.

pau 3


I thought to myself that this recipe would be the one to try out. I must confess that I did not make the red bean filling from scratch as I had left-overs from my Mooncake baking spree sitting in my refrigerator. The filling would be just sufficient for the amount of dough this recipe will create. The steamed buns turned out nicely but as with all steamed goodies, they are best consumed whilst hot. Once the buns turn cold, they turn a bit hard and dry. So always steam any remaining buns prior to consumption. My next project would be to try to nail down a recipe for fluffy steamed BBQ pork buns - like the ones served in Dim Sum Restaurants.

pau 1


Red Bean Paste Pau (Azuki Bean Steamed Buns)
Dough Recipe Adapted from "Dim Sum in Hong Kong"

Ingredients:

150g Hong Kong (or Pau) flour
2g dry yeast
2g baking powder
20g caster sugar
75g low fat milk
2g vegetable shortening

Method:

1) Place all ingredients into a mixer and blend until smooth at low speed.

2) Ferment for 10 mins at room temperature. Then blend in mixer again for 5 mins.

3) Divide the dough into pieces of 20g each. Roll out to form a round wrapping of about 2 inches in diameter. Try to make the edges a bit thinner than the center of the wrap.

4) Place filling (I used about 35g. Roll the filling to a tight ball before wrapping) in the center of the wrap and pull down the edges gently. Seal the edges tightly, tucking in so that the bun has a nice round top.

5) Proof Pau at room temperature for 45 mins.

6) Steam Pau over boiling water for 15 mins. Serve whilst still warm. Left overs can be refrigerated in a tightly sealed container. To consume, steam for about 5 mins.

pau 2


pau 4

9 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Jo! Missed you at the last blogger gathering, hope all is well. 😊 Mmmm... I love baos! And with that creamy azuki red bean paste, perfect!

Sherleen.T said...

the paos look so soft and yummy...wish to bite 1...haha

MyFudo™ said...

Looks really neat and yummy! I love steamed buns even without any filling...But I wouldn't say no to red bean filling either. Such a treat! Thanks for the post!

Angie's Recipes said...

Perfect dimsum! So much better than those served in the restaurants.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Aiyah, you asked me to go to the gathering and you didn't turn up!!
Looking at these paus is tempting me to make another batch....

tigerfish said...

Good that you can make your own "pao" skin. I can't make the filling and the dough :(

Noob Cook said...

love it, looks very professional.

Jo said...

Hi all, thanks for dropping by. The paus are still amatuerish but hope to improve on them.

Hi BB, yeah so sorry to have to cancel out last minute. I am sure there will be more gatherings in 2012 and will definitely catch up then.

Shirley, yeah I know ... sorry. :P But I saw what you brought to the gathering and wished I could have tasted it. It reminded me of childhood and mum's cooking. Hope to catch up in 2012.

Unknown said...

Hey hi
Icn i use plain flour as we dont get other flour thn plain ans self raising flour
Thanks :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails